10.14.2005

dream


Last night I dreamed I was in the palace of a character from one of my as-yet unfinished stories - a semi-mythical Northern being whose sled is drawn by wolves. I was in a long, dim hallway, the walls made of packed snow, and standing before a door behind which I knew the wolves were waiting. A faceless person was telling me we couldn't enter until they wanted us to, so as we were waiting we began to practice catching snowballs. Only we didn't make them ourselves, they seemed to simply appear on the floor of the hallway. And they weren't made of snow - if I had to guess I'd say they were something like memory foam, which compressed into something like a packing peanut when I squeezed one.

Given that there were things being thrown at me, I had moved into the recessed doorway for cover, and noticed that the door had gradually begun to open by itself. This I took as a sign that entry was now acceptable, and walked into another dimly lit room full of couches upon which sat the men's varsity hockey team. Various girlfriends were there as well, snuggled into the sides of their significant others. This made perfect sense, as I knew I was there to audition for some sort of position related to them. I was also carrying a standard store envelope of photographs, which I knew would have something to do with my audition. This too made perfect sense.

There were two other girls there as well, fellow auditioners. One appeared to be completely covered with stubble, except for her face - the other was quite attractive, but went immediately to the front of the room to begin her audition. There were people in the way, and I couldn't see what she was doing, or hear, because one of the guys on the couch nearest me had begun talking to me. I looked at the first photograph in my envelope - it appeared to be a vintage storefront, big glass windows and a wooden porch extending outwards. The ground below was flooded almost to the level of the porch, and a man was standing in the water, facing the camera. Next to him sat a young girl on what resembled a miniature lifeguard chair, which raised her just enough so she appeared to be floating on the water's surface, her head a couple of feet higher than the man's. I immediately identified it as a scene from Hurricane Katrina, and wondered if perhaps that was the audition, to have to identify all of the photographs. I was about to look at the next when I woke up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home