9.22.2003

I have just completed my thirteen-page masterpiece detailing the differences in critters between a river and a pond. Now to relax.

Had an earnest young freshman come in to the Writing Center today with his assignment and nothing more; we sat and talked for a while and he left fired with enthusiasm. It's such a thrill when that happens; someone just takes off, like lighting a firework. Oftentimes all the ideas are sown there, they just need a splash of water. Then sit back and watch the world turn green.

So many writers who are not regularly asked to be productive have little confidence in their instincts. The tragedy is that they are often right on track; they simply don't trust themselves to be correct. I want to just point something out and say "Tell me more about this," and I know I will learn something - a glint of gold swirling in the muddy water. Any mind can be brilliant given the tiniest bit of knowledge doused in enthusiasm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home