7.09.2004

And so the sixth week comes to an undramatic close, save for the fact that even after four days no one, student nor employee, seems to have quite recovered from the long holiday weekend. I confess myself one of their number, for various reasons.

Undoubtedly it feels like a Friday though. There is a sense of laziness and slowed action throughout the lab, people moving unhurriedly towards tasks half-finished and with little likelihood of being finished before the day is done. Fridays are over before they have begun. This is the unwritten law. Snickerdoodles on the table in the Drafting cubicle farm, headphones on ears, and eyes drawn more towards the email inbox than to the heat transfer on the desk.

I admit my laziness without shame. I finished the task assigned to me weeks ago - merely the mopping up remains. I enjoy being busy, but I enjoy being entertained by my business. Doing something of which you cannot see the point leeches the flavor from it.

Hard to believe that only four weeks officially remain of this adventure. Technically only two for work - next week are short courses and the last week is reserved for student presentations. Those who have finished look with longing eyes towards those days; those who have not are suddenly in a panic. Time is a tricky thing, to convince us that so much of it remains right up until it is all but gone.

Lucia di Lammermoor laments softly in my ears and I think about what was, what is, and what is to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home